Sex Education.... Yay or Nay?!

A month ago, I read an interesting article. It was about Egyptian guys sharing how they found out about sex. Some of them found their answers in a really unfavorable way. In my humble opinion, that would be less likely to happen if our families and teachers have a proper talk with teens and educate them about such sensitive issue.

What I read brought me back to my teen years. My wondering about what sex is started because of a science class in middle school.
The day we studied male and female reproductive systems was hilarious....
I remember I kept asking my classmates if they got anything regarding how the zygote is formed since the sperms are from the male and the ovum is from the female..... no one answered me.... except one of them pointing at the illustrations in the school book and saying this goes there....
I was like : I don't believe you.
I stood up in the middle of the class and asked our teacher
Miss, the sperms are from the male....Ok.....how can they end up in the uterus?????
She didn't answer and the whole class was silent waiting for the answer.
I went to my another science teacher that used to teach me in my previous school year I whispered to her my question she blushed and couldn't answer.....
I asked : Miss be honest to me.... is it a scientific mystery?
She tried to maintain a straight face and said yes.
I was 12 back then..... by the way, both of my science teacher were Christian.
Even in religion class when we studied cleanliness and how in Islam people are instructed to wash after sexual
intimacy to be ritually clean again and can go back to praying. The single Arabic word given to describe the state of people after intercourse was brand new to us we asked our teacher what that word meant she blushed and said : ask your mothers when you go home.
4 years later, I was reading a religious rulings book (Fiqh) of common questions and answers covering many facets of daily life. One question was: when is the couple considered to be in the "ritually unclean state after sexual intimacy" and have to wash in order to resume their five daily prayers.
The answer to my surprise, was a clear description of intercourse! The next line mentioned that afterwards, the couple must wash to be clean again.
I was shocked and couldn't believe what I read. I was really disgusted and felt angry with my parents cause I thought like : How come I was brought to life this sickening way?!! Yikes.
I was 16 back then. I found an answer to my questions at the most unlikely of places!..... a book.
Regardless of one's religion, sex isn't just a thing to talk about or discuss freely with school kids in Egypt. Ironically though, we study it at school and are told to just memorize things we don't get until later on.... 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mawtini ( My Homeland)

The Chambers of My Heart - Al Mutanabbi

Farewell to The World - By Imam Al Shafe'i