I Have A Lover Up There - A Song from Iraq

This is a translation of an old traditional Iraqi song  :)

The story behind the song is that there is a poor young man that fell in love with a girl from a rich family, after seeing her on their big house's balcony and exchanging glances.



I've got a lover up there
I've got a lover up there
I don't know if that's the shine of your cheek or a shine from above (ie the moon)
I swear I don't even want her
It's ruining me


I have no hope for my soul, you're still my beloved
Everyone gets to be with you and my destiny is to be abandoned by you
I swear she's torturing me and she has no interest in me


Oh river, for God's sake go say hi to them for me
The separation is hard for me
I miss them


Your cheek shined, my love, and lit up the country
I can't make my soul patient or bear this separation
I swear she captured me with her beautiful eyes

All the faces pass, and my eyes are only on yours
May the lord bless you my love
I swear she's torturing me and she has no interest in me.....................



Shanasheel in the old Part of Baghdad, Iraq. 








All credit goes to :

http://www.arabicmusictranslation.com/2009/09/above-palm-treesive-got-friend-above.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mawtini ( My Homeland)

The Chambers of My Heart - Al Mutanabbi

Farewell to The World - By Imam Al Shafe'i