Tom Hurndall, A Name to Be Remembered

11 years ago on a day like today, On 11th April 2003, British peace activist and photojournalist Tom Hurndall was shot in the head while trying to rescue a little girl.


The Israeli army were invading the city of Rafah, in the Gaza Strip when Tom and other ISM volunteers saw a group of children in a street where snipers were firing. Witnesses say that bullets were shot around the children, who were paralysed by fear and unable to move – Tom pulled one child, a young boy to safety, Having carried the boy to safety, he went back to the same spot to rescue a young girl and as he was attempting to carry her, he got hit in the head by an Israeli sniper bullet.
He went into a coma and died nine months later in a hospital in London on 13th January 2004. He was 22 years old.

“What do I want from this life? What makes you happy is not enough. All the things that satisfy our instincts only satisfy the animal in us. I want to be proud of myself. I want more. I want to look up to myself and when I die, I want to smile because of the things I have done, not cry for the things I haven’t done.”Tom Hurndall
 






Here is a must read article about him & his book :
Tom Hurndall : a remarkable man's photographs of the Middle East

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2012/mar/01/tom-hurndall-middle-east-photographs


"He risked all for others" :Tom Hurndall's mother remembers her son
http://electronicintifada.net/content/he-risked-all-others-tom-hurndalls-mother-remembers-her-son/4690

Here you can find Tom's book :  The Only House Left Standing - The Middle East Journals of Tom Hurndall
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Hurndall/e/B00AJRRDQI/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mawtini ( My Homeland)

The Chambers of My Heart - Al Mutanabbi

Farewell to The World - By Imam Al Shafe'i