The Monument of The Lovers - Cordoba, Spain


The sculpture of the hands of Ibn Zaydun and Wallada was placed in the plaza known as El Campo Santo de los Mártires in Cordoba, Spain in 1971, to commemorate the 900th anniversary of the love story of the great Andalusian poet Ibn Zaydun ( Cordoba, 1003 - Seville, 1071 ) and Princess Wallada (born in Cordoba in 1001 - died March 26, 1091) also a famous Andalusian poet.







The monument is part of the Historic Centre of Cordoba which was considered by the UNESCO to be a world heritage site in 1996.








In memory of this lost love,  one can read on the marble monument poetry verses by each poet, which appear in  both Castilian and Arabic:





Here is a close up of the marble inscriptions :


"أغارُ عليكَ من عيني ومني
ومنكَ، ومن زمانكَ والمكانِ
ولو أني خَبَـأتُكَ في عُيـوني
إلى يوم القيامة مـا كــــفاني"

«Tengo celos de mis ojos, de mí toda,
de ti mismo, de tu tiempo y lugar.
Aún grabado tú en mis pupilas,
mis celos nunca cesarán...
»

"I fear for you, my beloved so much, from even my own sight, even the ground you tread, even the hours that pass threaten to snatch you away from me. Even if I were able to conceal you within the pupils of my eyes and hide you there until the Day of Judgment my fear would still not be allayed."



" يا من غدوت به في الناس مشتهرا
قلبي يقاسي عليك الهم و الفكر
إن غبت لم ألق إنسانا يؤانسني
و إن حضرت فكل الناس قد حضر"


«Tu amor me ha hecho célebre entre la gente.
Por ti se preocupan mi corazón y pensamiento.
Cuando tú te ausentas nadie puede consolarme.
Y cuando llegas todo el mundo está presente
»
 
 
"Your love has made me famous among high and low your face devours my feelings and thoughts. When you are absent, I cannot be consoled, but when you appear, all my troubles fly away, as If I have the whole humanity by my side"



The same shot but with so much better resolution and emphsis of the text :





Source :
 Monumento a los Enamorados

Note : I don't own the pictures shared in this post. I hope to visit Cordoba one day to take my own photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mawtini ( My Homeland)

The Chambers of My Heart - Al Mutanabbi

Farewell to The World - By Imam Al Shafe'i