Majnoon Layla

A lovely poem by a renowned Arab poet 
Enjoy 


 
Due to my love for you, Layla, I have become famous

And everyone knows what I'm going through

I am so ill because of being madly in love 

What man is safe from the agony of separation?

It took nothing but a single gaze from you, 

For blazing fires to start in my heart 

Don’t kill me by turning away and abandoning me! 

People like you Layla have compassion and show mercy 

By God I love you and I suffer…

I melt with desire and keep it all to myself 

Fearful of a slanderer, a spy, or an envious cad, 

Telling people what they are unaware of.


~ Qays ibn Al Mulawwah (645 - 688)

My humble attempt to translate it to English 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mawtini ( My Homeland)

The Chambers of My Heart - Al Mutanabbi

Farewell to The World - By Imam Al Shafe'i