A Beloved Month

Ramadan


Ramadan (Arabic: رمضانis the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. Muslims worldwide observe this as a month of fasting.

Ramadan is a month that Muslims await & look forward to every year :) It's my favourite time of the year. It's a good opportunity to enjoy the quality time with the family & friends :)

I remember when i was little, when my dear mother would make me & my siblings a filling breakast to eat before going to school & we would fast for some hours & break our fasting when we go home & a year after another, we could finally make it to the sunset just like the growups! :D That felt like an accomplishment for a child :) I miss those days :) 

I remember my parents waking us up to eat before it's Dawn. I remember my father leading us in Dawn prayer. I remember my father asking me to read the Quran with him instead of reading it alone & i would just blush & start laughing cause i would be so shy and nervous :D

I remember going  back home after school and smelling the delicious food that my mother prepared. I remember helping her out in the kitchen, then going to read some verses of the Quran, study a bit & just look from the window in my room to watch the sunset. its beauty never failed to bring me to tears. Then after the sun sets it's time for some tasty food! & lots & lots of laughter & giggling with the family & after having some fun, it's time to go back to study & do some homework :)


I remember a couple of night hours of praying & enjoying spending sometime by myself but i know i'm not at all alone ;)

I remember standing there on my rug picturing that right then, at that moment, there were millions and millions raising their hands to the sky asking God for forgiveness. Asking him to bestow his mercy upon them, asking him to alleviate their pain & sufferng. Asking him to grant them strength & patience in a world that is full of oppression, tyranny and injustice. Asking him to grant them happiness in this life & in the hereafter. Asking him to grant them success in their studies & their work. Asking him to bless and protect their loved ones. Asking him to guide them to the right path. And lots & lots of supplication till their tears roll down their cheeks.

I remeber the first time i completed reading the whole Quran from cover to cover during Ramadan :)

I remember going to Mecca in Ramadan :) I remember breaking my fasting and eating with my sisters from around the globe i remember sharing food from different cuisines with people i don't even know :)

I remember that Saudi gentleman with his sons offering people in the mosque coffee,dates,bottles of water, plastic cups & tissues. everyone of his children was holding  something and the youngest child was in charge of the tissues box :) all dressed in white and are as nice and as generous as their father :)

I remember youths going to fill cups of the old people with the cold sweet water of the Zamzam well at the grand mosque in Mecca. whether you know them or not you go to drink and bring back extra cups of water for your family and the new friends you met in the mosque :)

It maybe a friendship that lasts for just a couple of hours with people who live in other continents but you always hold them in your memory & pray for them :)


يَا أَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ آمَنُواْ كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ ٱلصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى ٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

"O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint."
—Quran (2 : 183)


أَيَّامً۬ا مَّعۡدُودَٲتٍ۬‌ۚ فَمَن كَانَ مِنكُم مَّرِيضًا أَوۡ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ۬ فَعِدَّةٌ۬ مِّنۡ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ‌ۚ وَعَلَى ٱلَّذِينَ يُطِيقُونَهُ ۥ فِدۡيَةٌ۬ طَعَامُ مِسۡكِينٍ۬‌ۖ فَمَن تَطَوَّعَ خَيۡرً۬ا فَهُوَ خَيۡرٌ۬ لَّهُ ۥ‌ۚ وَأَن تَصُومُواْ خَيۡرٌ۬ لَّكُمۡ‌ۖ إِن كُنتُمۡ تَعۡلَمُونَ

"(Fast) a certain number of days; and (for) him who is sick among you, or on a journey, (the same) number of other days; and for those who can afford it there is a ransom: the feeding of a man in need - but whoso doeth good of his own accord, it is better for him: and that ye fast is better for you if ye did but know."

— Quran (2 : 184)
 

شَهۡرُ رَمَضَانَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أُنزِلَ فِيهِ ٱلۡقُرۡءَانُ هُدً۬ى لِّلنَّاسِ وَبَيِّنَـٰتٍ۬ مِّنَ ٱلۡهُدَىٰ وَٱلۡفُرۡقَانِ‌ۚ فَمَن شَهِدَ مِنكُمُ ٱلشَّهۡرَ فَلۡيَصُمۡهُ‌ۖ وَمَن كَانَ مَرِيضًا أَوۡ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ۬ فَعِدَّةٌ۬ مِّنۡ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ‌ۗ يُرِيدُ ٱللَّهُ بِكُمُ ٱلۡيُسۡرَ وَلَا يُرِيدُ بِكُمُ ٱلۡعُسۡرَ وَلِتُكۡمِلُواْ ٱلۡعِدَّةَ وَلِتُكَبِّرُواْ ٱللَّهَ عَلَىٰ مَا هَدَٮٰكُمۡ وَلَعَلَّكُمۡ تَشۡكُرُونَ

"The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. Allah desireth for you ease; He desireth not hardship for you; and (He desireth) that ye should complete the period, and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that peradventure ye may be thankful."
—Quran (2 : 185)


 

  أهلا رمضان Ahlan Ramadan :) Welcome Ramadan








 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mawtini ( My Homeland)

The Chambers of My Heart - Al Mutanabbi

Farewell to The World - By Imam Al Shafe'i