Allahu Akbar

It dates back to the day i was born, in the very first moments of my life, when my father held me in his arms when i was just a few minutes old & he recited those words in my ears .

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar  a phrase that i kept on hearing over & over again throughout my life once The Call for Prayer is made,............ till some day ...........on the time of the Dawn prayer the voice of the a muezzin  ( the one who calls for prayer ) broke the silence of the night ...........




 Muezzin Calling from the Top of a Minaret the Faithful to Prayer
Artist: Jean-Leon Gerome
1879


I thought  about the words .......Allahu Akbar! ........... Literally meaning God is greater :)

Allahu Akbar الله أكبر is an Arabic phrase, called Takbir in Arabic, meaning "God is greater" or "God is [the] greatest". 

In Arabic " Akbar" means greater, a constant reminder of a very evident truth yet it's crucial & should be repeated over & over again.

If in the call  for prayer it were said "God is the greatest" that would be repeating an inevitable fact, but to hear the call " God is greater " It gives a meaning that is way more profound  & viable it makes you think "greater than what ?" And the answer is  "Greater than everything" it speaks to you  engaging  you to a greater extent with the conversation, you feel that the words are directed to you personally out of the rest of the creation .

Greater, greater than your worries, concerns & problems & if he is greater than them then for sure he can help you out .
Sometimes the comperative forms of the adjectives are even greater than the superlative ones it applies in this phrase   :)
Greater then your happiness & sorrow, greater than your  success & failure, greater, closer to you than your own self .

Greater, than you can ever imagine,

“O My Servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to be the most pious as the most pious heart of any one man of you, that would not increase My Kingdom in anything. O My servants were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and the jinn of you to be as wicked as the wicked heart of any one man of you that would not decrease My Kingdom in anything. O My servants, were the first of you and the last of you, the human of you and jinn of you to rise up in one place and make a request of Me, and I were to give everyone what he requested, that would not decrease what I have, any more than a needle decreases the sea if put into it”.(Muslim).

The full text is to be found here 
 Do Not Oppress One Another

Arabic is just so deep & beautiful :)  thanks God i can understand it :) & it is used  in thecall for prayer in a very clever, profound & touching way.

The biggest Takbir phrase in the world is written on the Mecca clock tower  



Takbir is used in various contexts by Muslims : in  prayers 5 daily prayers, feast prayers, funerals & others .
Also it is said  in times of distress, to express celebration or victory, and to express resolute determination or defiance  & other occasions .

The greatest one to me is that one that i heard when i was a baby in my father's arms & God willing i will hear it once again before i would be put in my grave after i die when people gather to offer the funeral prayer on me .

The very first words i have heard & the very last words i would hear . 

The Words " Allahu Akbar" in Arabic Calligraphy
 

Comments

  1. pemakaman muslim I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mawtini ( My Homeland)

The Chambers of My Heart - Al Mutanabbi

Farewell to The World - By Imam Al Shafe'i